Change of Registration

General information

A change of registration is only necessary if the character of residence is changed, i.e. if an existing secondary residence [Nebenwohnsitz] is changed into a principal residence [Hauptwohnsitz] and the former principal residence becomes a secondary residence. Furthermore, a change of registration has to be carried out in cases where the citizenship, name, civil status or sex is changed abroad. A change of registration must also be carried out for all minors living in the same household.

In cases where a new principal residence (with a different address than the address of the former principal residence) is established, a registration [Anmeldung] is required instead of a change of registration. The de-registration or change of registration of the former principal residence to a secondary residence can be carried out at the same time if necessary.


Within one month

Competent authority

The registration authority


Changes of registration can be carried out either in person or through the post or be delivered by a person you trust. However, changes of registration via fax or e-mail are currently not permitted by law.

Changes of registration of minors must be carried out by their parents or legal guardians or those who are entitled to care for them. Custodians [Erwachsenenvertreterinnen/Erwachsenenvertreter] are required to carry out the change of registration for mentally handicapped persons as long as this procedure is part of their field of action. In cases where there are no such people the accommodation providers must carry out the change of registration.

For a change of registration you require a residence registration form [Meldezettel-Formular] which makes it possible for the registration authorities to enter the registration data into the register. This form can be downloaded and it is available at registration authorities. Furthermore, it is available at some tobacconists.

The columns of the form must be filled in completely and legibly. Please note the following characteristics:

  • Religious belief [Religionsbekenntnis]: This column can also be filled in after the accommodation provider has signed the form. It can also be left empty.
  • Central register number [ZMR-Zahl]: This number must be declared as far as it is known. Central register numbers are twelve-figure numbers arbitrarily allocated by the system and are used for identification by the authorities.
  • Signature of the person who is obliged to register: By signing the form, the person confirms the accuracy of the registration data.
  • Signature of the accommodation provider

An accommodation provider is a person who effectively provides accommodation for a person taking up the accommodation, for example

  • a house owner or an owner of a condominium for himself or herself, for a cohabitant (e.g. his or her partner or relative) or for the main tenant,
  • the main tenant for his or her cohabitant or subtenant,
  • the subtenant for his or her cohabitant.

A separate residence registration form must be filled in for each person.

You will receive a written confirmation of registration [Bestätigung der Meldung] (formerly known as residence registration form [Meldezettel]).

Documents required

  • Public documents that include last name and first name, last name before the first marriage, date of birth, place of birth and citizenship of the person taking up the accommodation (e.g. passportGerman text and birth certificate [Geburtsurkunde])
  • Optionally documentary proof of academic degrees [Urkundlicher Nachweis akademischer Grade]
  • For people taking up accommodation without Austrian citizenship (foreigners):
    • Travel document (e.g. passport)
In the case of not changing one's registration in person, the original documents or notarised or legally certified copiesGerman text of these documents must be sent or given to the postal carrier together with a Residence Registration Form [Meldezettel] that has been filled in. Please consider the risk involved in sending original documents per post; it is not borne by the competent authority.


There are no fees or costs.

Legal basis

Sections 3, 4, 4a and 11 paragraph 2 of the Meldegesetz (MeldeG)


Residence Registration Form [Meldezettel]
Last update: 06.02.2020
Please note
Approved by Editorial Staff
Federal Ministry of the Interior
Rate this page
Was this information useful? *: