Household Pets

zur deutschsprachigen Version
to the German version

Taking Animals with You When Travelling within the EU-/EEA-Countries

Before the departure, it is recommended to promptly enquire at the respective Foreign Representation [ausländische Vertretungsbehörde] (embassy or consulate) or the Austrian Representation [Österreichische Vertretungsbehörde] about the most current conditions of entry (e.g. special regulations for importing young animals under three months).

Since October 1, 2004, anyone wishing to travel within the Member States of the European Community or the European Economic Area with a dog, cat or ferret, must equip them with a document issued by a veterinarian authority – the so-called "Pet Passport".

The Pet Passport is a Europe-wide standardised, forgery-proof ID card, which enables the relevant animal to be clearly identified. The card can be obtained from all self-employed veterinary surgeons working in Austria.

For animals older than three months, the Pet Passport must provide evidence that a valid anti-rabies inoculation – or a valid booster inoculation against rabies – has been carried out.

The Pet Passport also contains details about the animal owner and any change in the animal’s ownership. A photo of the respective animal may also be included. The animal’s name, age, race, gender and identification number definitely have to be entered.

If you wish to travel abroad with your dog, cat or ferret, an identification of the pets with a tattoo or micro chip is compulsory. The chip code or the identifiable tattoo must be registered in the Pet Passport.

Until 2 July 2011 it was possible to travel abroad with pets that have a tattooed identification. From 3 July 2011 cats and ferrets must be identified with a chip, but tattoos done before 3 July 2011 remain valid.

Principles for the Keeping of Animals

Whoever takes an animal into her/his care, has to provide food and care suitable for the species, race and age of the animal, as well as accommodation suitable for the species, race, and behaviour, and veterinary care in case of illness or injury.

Cruelty against animals and the killing of animals without reason is explicitly forbidden.

In principle, owners of animals (particularly dog owners) have to make sure that walkways, sidewalks, pedestrian precincts and residential streets, sandboxes and playgrounds are kept clean.

Dog Registration

By reaching the age of three months, all dogs must be registered by their owners with the responsible authority in Austria.

In principle, all dog owners have to pay a tax. In some municipalities, after payment of the relevant tax the dog owner receives a dog tag from the responsible authority.

In general, wearing the dog tag is not compulsory. However, in some municipalities there is a general obligation for dogs to wear their tags in public.

Since June 30, 2008, all dogs kept in Austria must be identified with a microchip. The chip has to be implanted by a veterinarian at the expenses of the dog’s owner no later than the dog reaching the age of three months. The Federal Ministry of Health and Women’s Affairs provides an Austrian-wide animal protection database for a transregional cooperation.

Responsible Authority

There are legally prescribed obligations for dog owners by the Protection of Animals Act. As a minimum, a muzzle and a leash should always be brought along when the dog is taken for a walk outside.  


There are specific regulations concerning taking dogs on public means of transport (buses, trains, trams, subway). For further information, please enquire with the respective transport authority.

Cancellation of a Licence

Cancellation of a dog licence (death, move, passing on) must be presented to the relevant authority [zuständige Behörde für Hundeabgaben]. As long as this is not done, the tax liability still exists.

Responsible Authority

Prohibition Against Possession of Certain Animal Species

Due to animal protection laws, the possession of certain animal species either requires a permit (e.g. animals in a zoo or circus) or is forbidden (e.g. wild animals) for safety reasons. In particular, game animal species requiring special care and maintenance may only be kept with a permit.

More specific information can be found in the respective animal protection laws of the individual federal provinces.

Responsible Authority

Animal Burial

As a matter of principle the dead bodies of animals are required to be disposed of for hygienic and epidemiological reasons. The owners are obliged to hand over the dead animals to the responsible authorities (e.g. collecting point of the municipal offices, animal remains removal, animal cemetery, animal crematorium).

However, a pet owner may bury a single household pet (i.e. a dog, a cat or a small animal) on his or her own land provided that the animal is not suspected of being infected. There are further restrictions in some federal states!

Responsible Authority
For further information concerning animal burial please contact the veterinary surgeon’s office [Amtstierarzt].

Dog Registration online [Hundeanmeldung online]


You can also carry out the Dog Registration [Hundeanmeldung online] online. Please check whether your authority offers the administrative procedure.

More Information

Additional information can be found on the German website at

Last update: 05.09.2017
Please note
Approved by
HELP Editorial Staff
Rate this page
Was this information useful? *: