All children who stay in Austria are required to attend school. Compulsory schooling starts on the first of September following the child's sixth birthday, and lasts nine school years.
Compulsory schooling is fulfilled by attending the following types of schools:
- In the first four school years: by attending a primary school [Volksschule] or a special needs school [Sonderschule]
- In the 5th to the 8th school year: by attending a lower secondary school [Hauptschule], a secondary academic school [allgemeinbildende höhere Schule], a primary school or a special needs school
- In the 9th school year: by the attending a pre-vocational year [Polytechnischer Lehrgang], or by attending a primary school, a lower secondary or secondary academic school, or a special needs school
School Types in Austria
- Primary school [Volksschule] (1st to 4th grade)
- "New secondary school"/Lower secondary school ["Neue Mittelschule"/Hauptschule] (5th to 8th grade)
- Special needs school [Sonderschule] (1st to 4th grade, 5th to 8th grade)
- Pre-vocational year [Polytechnische Schule] (9th grade)
- Secondary academic school [Allgemeinbildende höhere Schule] (5th to 12th grade)
- Vocational school [Berufsschule] (10th to 13th grade)
- Secondary technical and vocational school [Berufsbildende mittlere Schule] (9th to 12th grade)
- Secondary technical and vocational high school or college [Berufsbildende höhere Schule] (9th to 13th grade)
- Academy for social work [Akademie für Sozialarbeit] (3 years)
- Institutes for teacher and educator training [Anstalten der Lehrer- und der Erzieherbildung] (various)
Additional information can be found on the German website at HELP.gv.at.
Please note .
Federal Chancellery – HELP Editorial Staff