If you desire to get legally married in Austria, the future spouses must be present at the same time and personally state their wish to get married in front of a registrar. In practice the registrar will ask each of the fiancés one after the other in the presence of either two, one or no witnesses if they want to get married. After the affirmation the registrar will pronounce them legally married.

Corresponding to a decision of the Constitutional Court of 4 December 2017 homosexual couples can marry in Austria since 1 January 2019.

Please note: Confessional (non-civil) marriages are not considered legally binding by the authorities.

Registering to get married is possible at any register office in Austria. The wedding ceremony itself may be performed at another register office.

Online reservations for wedding dates may be made in
Responsible authority

Any civil status office in Austria:

Registering to Get Married

You can register to have a civil marriage as early as six months prior to the desired wedding date, because the verification of marriageability is only valid for a maximum of six months. There is no minimum interval between registration and the marriage ceremony anymore. However, in larger cities expect an average waiting time of two to six weeks.

Prior to the wedding the register office determines the marriageability of the fiancés during an oral interview with the help of the presented documents. During this oral trial usually both partners have to appear in person. Then a certification of marriageability will be prepared.

Please note: When registering for a civil marriage, the partners can declare to the registrar which name the couple intends to use when married. For that reason it is advisable to decide on the name desired before registering to get married. However, partners can still agree on the name either on their wedding day or during their marriage.

Required documents

Austrian citizens, who are single and of legal majority need:

At the register office foreign citizens get information about the required documents for the registration to get married.

If you were previously married or had a registered partnership: in addition

  • Marriage certificate(s) of the previous marriage or certificate of the previous registered partnership
  • Certificate of divorce or proof of nullification or annulment of previous marriages (Resolution or decree with valid confirmation of the outcome, including a stamp attesting validity!), decree of the nullification of previous registered partnerships
  • Death certificate of the late spouse if the spouse has died
  • Death certificate of a late registered Partner if the partner has died
  • In case of a foreign judgment concerning the dissolution of marriage/partnership or marriage/partnership annulment: the final judicial decision of approval, unless the Brussels II a-Regulation applies

If you and your future spouse have one or several joint children: in addition

  • Birth certificate(s) of the child(ren)
  • Statement of paternity of the children (if the father is not recorded on the birth certificate(s))
  • Proof of nationality, if available
  • Proof of the children’s residence

Anyone who is not a legally independent adult (including those not of marriageable age) also needs:

  • For 16 to 18 year olds:
    • Declaration of marriageability issued by a court (with valid confirmation of validity, including a stamp attesting validity!)
    • Written approval by legal Guardians or equivalent judicial decision
  • If a trustee has been appointed, his or her written approval or a relevant court decision

Anyone not present when registering to get married also needs the form 'Statement of marriageability'.

Please note: If a foreign language document must be presented in the original along with a certified German translation, the translation may only be done by a translator sworn and certified in Austria. Translators from other EU-/EEA-countries can also apply for entry into the list of sworn and judicially certified translators.

In order to accept foreign documents, many countries require an apostille or authentication.

  • For the procedure to determine marriageability: 50 euro
  • For submitting foreign certificates: 130 euro
  • Additional fees: Federal administrative fee and possibly commission fees

Federal Administrative Fees

  • Marriage officiated by a registrar in an administrative office during office hours: 5.45 Euro
  • Marriage officiated by a registrar in an administrative office outside office hours: 10.90 Euro
  • Marriage officiated by a registrar outside administrative offices in the case of a life-threatening disease of one of the fiancés: 5.45 Euro
  • Marriage officiated by a registrar outside administrative offices in all other cases: 54.50 Euro

Additional services such as music might incur additional costs.

Name Change after Marriage

Please find out if your marriage must be registered with the responsible diplomatic representation. 

More Information

Additional information can be found at

Last update: 14.04.2021
Please note
Approved by Editorial Staff
Rate this page
Was this information useful? *: