Deutsch | English

Income-Related Childcare Allowance

zur deutschsprachigen Version
to the German version

In contrast to the Flat-Rate Childcare Allowance, the Income-Related Childcare Allowance can only be granted to persons who have been in employment subject to social insurance during the six months period preceding the child's birth.


  • Joint household with the child
    (in addition: recipient(s) and child registered as having their primary residence at the same address)
  • Entitlement to Family Allowance and actual receipt of family allowance for the child.
  • Centre of vital interests in Austria
    (this means that you and your family have your permanent residence in Austria and have closer personal and economic ties to Austria than to any other country)
  • Legal Residence in Austria
    Parents and children who are not Austrian citizens also have an entitlement to childcare allowance. This applies to:
    • Citizens of the EU or EEA or Switzerland who have confirmation of their right of domicile (Certificate of Registration [Anmeldebescheinigung])
    • Third-country nationals with Residence Permits pursuant to §§ 8 and 9 of the Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz (NAG)
    • Persons who are eligible for asylum
    • Persons eligible for subsidiary protection who are in employment or who are self-employed and who do not receive support from the basic services programme or who are ineligible for such support
  • Confirmation that the medical check-ups stipulated in the Mother-Child-Pass have been carried out
    • Five check-ups of the mother-to-be during pregnancy
    • Five check-ups of the infant after birth
  • Additional earnings may not exceed 6,400 euro per calendar year (roughly the marginal earnings threshold)
  • Parents must have been gainfully employed in the six months immediately preceding the birth of the child (employment in Austria subject to social insurance contributions). Self-insurance, voluntary continuation of insurance contributions, co-insurance etc. do not suffice.
    Employment must actually have been pursued without interruption during the six months preceding the birth of the child. If a person is in employment subject to social insurance during the six months period preceding the child's birth and receives unemployment insurance benefits (unemployment benefit [Arbeitslosengeld], unemployment assistance [Notstandshilfe], continuing education benefits [Weiterbildungsgeld] etc.), he or she is not entitled to Income-Related Childcare Allowance. Interruptions of up to 14 days are permissible. Holidays [Urlaub] and periods of sickness with continued remuneration [Krankenstand mit Entgeltfortzahlung des Arbeitgebers] do not constitute an interruption. Periods during which expectant mothers are forbidden to work under the provisions of the Mutterschutzgesetz and periods of statutory parental leave under the provisions of the Mutterschutzgesetz or the Väter-Karenzgesetz (up to a child's second birthday) are considered such periods of employment, if the parent has been in employment subject to social insurance during the immediately preceding six months.
  • Parents may not claim unemployment insurance benefits while receiving income-related childcare allowance
In the case of parents who are legally resident in Austria pursuant to §§ 8 and 9 of the Law on Residence and Settlement (NAG), childcare allowance will be awarded retroactively to the date of birth, or to the date when the child entered the Republic of Austria (generally speaking from the date of registration of residence). This includes also those months in which the child was not yet able to comply with the criteria for lawful residence pursuant to the Law on Residence and Settlement. However, this only applies if the child was born after a residency permit or asylum was granted to one of the parents. This arrangement for the retroactive payment of childcare allowance also applies in the case of children who have been adopted or fostered within the framework of international adoptions. The allowance will not be granted retroactively if the parent making the application no longer possesses a valid residency permit or fails to meet other criteria for eligibility.

Responsible Authority

Required Documents

  • Copy of the child’s birth certificate
  • In addition, in the case of foreign nationals:
    • The passport of the applicant and the child (in the case of newborn infants this can be submitted at a later date) and
    • EEA certificate of registration [Anmeldebescheinigung] of the applicant and the child or
    • Residence permit (NAG card) of the applicant and the child or
    • In the case of claimants who are eligible for asylum, the notification that asylum has been granted and the notifications of the child or
    • Notifications refusing asylum applications but granting protection from deportation to applicants eligible for subsidiary protection together with the notifications for the child (if possible evidence of employment and non-entitlement to support from the basic services programme)

The Social Insurance Institution may demand the presentation of additional documents or proofs (e.g. Notification concerning entitlement to Family Allowance, (Confirmation of Registration of Primary Residence – [Bestätigung der Hauptwohnsitzmeldung]) of the mother and/or the father as well as the child). Please make enquiries in this regard to the relevant Social Insurance Institution before making your application.

As income-related childcare allowance represents a (partial) recompense for foregoing previous income, additional earnings may not exceed 6,400 euro per calendar year (roughly the marginal earnings threshold).


If the limit on annual additional earnings of 6,400 euro is exceeded, only the amount by which the additional earnings limit was exceeded must be repaid (incremental repayment regulation). The remaining childcare allowance does not have to be repaid.


A parent may waive in advance his or her right to draw childcare allowance for entire months in order to avoid exceeding the limit on additional earnings.

Last update: 27.05.2016
Please note .
Approved by
Federal Chancellery – HELP Editorial Staff

Rate this page

Was this information useful? The field "Was this information useful?" must be filled in!