Requirements for the Admission to Austrian Universities

General information

zur deutschsprachigen Version
to the German version

The following requirements must be fulfilled for the matriculation of a foreign citizen (or a stateless person) as a regular student in Austrian university degree programmes:

  • A place is available at the university for the desired course of study.
  • The applicant has an A-level or high school diploma [Reifezeugnis], that can be considered equivalent to an Austrian Matura examination certification (either regulated by an agreement or in individual cases decided by the vice chancellor, possibly with certain requirements), or can furnish proof of completion of a three-year (minimum) study at another certified post-secondary educational institution.
  • The certification must be sufficient for acceptance to the desired course of study [Studienrichtung] at a university in that country in which it was acquired. Any study-related requirements (e.g. entrance examination) must be fulfilled in the country in which the A-level or high school diploma was issued.
  • If the desired course of study in Austria is not offered in the home country, then proof of next closest course of study is to be furnished. Only if the country does not have a university [Universität] this proof does not have to be submitted.
  • In addition, the applicant must have sufficient German knowledge. If necessary, an examination is to be taken.
The Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research  [Bundesministerium für Bildung, Wissenschaft und Forschung] provides information on the recognition of diplomas, certificates and examinations [Anerkennung von Reifezeugnissen und Prüfungen].


At the latest by the 1st of September or the 1st of February every year for the following semester.


To foreign citizens who are on an equal footing to Austrians, the same application periods apply as to residents.

EU and EEA citizens who are authorised for the corresponding study in the country where they received university level entrance examination certification are on an equal footing.

At the universities of the arts [Universität der Künste] the same application periods apply to foreigners as to Austrian residents, and admission is based on the entrance examination.

Only those foreigners who come to Austria for a short time in the context of a LLP/Erasmus programme (and thus do not intend to complete an entire course of study) do not need to take an entrance examination.

Competent authority

The respective university (the decision is made by the vice chancellor).

Detailed information for foreign students can be found on the pages of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research  [Bundesministerium für Bildung, Wissenschaft und Forschung] and at the Austrian exchange service [Österreichische Austauschdienst].

Documents required

  • Passport, identity card or proof of citizenship in combination with an official identification with photo [amtlicher Lichtbildausweis]
  • A-levels, high school diploma or equivalent certification
  • Transcript with grades from the last school year
  • Various filled-out forms:
    • Application form for admission
    • Registration form
    • Form for statistics
    • Student document of identification with photograph attached [Studentenausweis]
    • Form for continuation
  • Second photograph

All documents are to be submitted in the original and in a German translation which was publicly authenticated in the originating country and was last authenticated by the Austrian Representation Agency [Österreichische Vertretungsbehörde] in that country. The last authentication is not necessary in those countries whose public authentication is recognised by Austria because of treaty agreements.

Further information concerning transfrontier recognition in the field of higher education can be obtained at the National Academic Recognition and Information Centre (NARIC).

Additional information

Additional information can be found on the German website at

Last update: 08.01.2018
Please note
Approved by
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
Rate this page
Was this information useful? *: