Requirements for the Admission to Austrian Universities
The following requirements must be fulfilled for the matriculation of a foreign citizen (or a stateless person) as a regular student in Austrian university degree programmes:
- A place is available at the university for the desired course of study.
- The applicant has an A-level or high school diploma [Reifezeugnis], that can be considered equivalent to an Austrian Matura examination certification (either regulated by an agreement or in individual cases decided by the vice chancellor, possibly with certain requirements), or can furnish proof of completion of a three-year (minimum) study at another certified post-secondary educational institution.
- The certification must be sufficient for acceptance to the desired course of study [Studienrichtung] at a university in that country in which it was acquired. Any study-related requirements (e.g. entrance examination) must be fulfilled in the country in which the A-level or high school diploma was issued.
- If the desired course of study in Austria is not offered in the home country, then proof of next closest course of study is to be furnished. Only if the country does not have a university [Universität] this proof does not have to be submitted.
- In addition, the applicant must have sufficient German knowledge. If necessary, an examination is to be taken.
At the latest by the 1st of September or the 1st of February every year for the following semester.Exceptions
To foreign citizens who are on an equal footing to Austrians, the same application periods apply as to residents.
EU and EEA citizens who are authorised for the corresponding study in the country where they received university level entrance examination certification are on an equal footing.
At the universities of the arts [Universität der Künste] the same application periods apply to foreigners as to Austrian residents, and admission is based on the entrance examination.
The respective university (the decision is made by the vice chancellor).
Detailed information for foreign students can be found on the pages of the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy [Bundesministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Wirtschaft] and at the Austrian exchange service [Österreichische Austauschdienst].
- Passport, identity card or proof of citizenship in combination with an official identification with photo [amtlicher Lichtbildausweis]
- A-levels, high school diploma or equivalent certification
- Transcript with grades from the last school year
- Various filled-out forms:
- Application form for admission
- Registration form
- Form for statistics
- Student document of identification with photograph attached [Studentenausweis]
- Form for continuation
- Second photograph
All documents are to be submitted in the original and in a German translation which was publicly authenticated in the originating country and was last authenticated by the Austrian Representation Agency [Österreichische Vertretungsbehörde] in that country. The last authentication is not necessary in those countries whose public authentication is recognised by Austria because of treaty agreements.
Additional information can be found on the German website at HELP.gv.at.
- Study in Austria - Find your Programm (including application Deadline)
- Recognition of diplomas, certificates and examinations (BMBF)
- General information to university Admission (ÖUniko)
- Österreichischer Austauschdienst (OeAD)
- Austrian representations
- ENIC NARNIC Austria German text
- Austrian Federal Ministry of Education and Women's Affairs
HELP Editorial Staff