Specialised College education courses [Fachhochschul-Studiengänge] were created as an independent alternative to the existing courses of study at universities. Particular features of this type of education are:
- Profession-oriented and experience-oriented organisation at higher education level
- Fixed study duration – six semesters (bachelor study) and two to four semesters (master study) - obligatory attendance
- Award of an academic degree to the graduates
Students at a college are on an equal footing with students at universities.
Measures concerning academic subsidies [Studienförderung] or subsidies of studies abroad also apply to students at colleges.
Almost 50 percent of courses are offered for working people (work and study at the same time in contrast to full-time study).
A list of the specialised CollegeGerman text in Austria can also be found at HELP.gv.at.
- Link to the Specialised Colleges
- Austrian Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
- Specialised Colleges Council (FHK)
Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research