Certification of Marriageability [Ehefähigkeitszeugnis]

zur deutschsprachigen Version
to the German version

To be able to marry [Heirat] in Austria, foreign citizens must present a certification of marriageability from their home country.

Depending upon the agreements made between Austria and the country concerned (Germany, Italy, Switzerland) the certification of marriageability can be obtained through the Austrian registry of births, deaths and marriage [Standesamt] or be applied for at the responsible home country authority or diplomatic mission in Austria (embassy, consulate, etc.).

From Austrian citizens wishing to marry abroad, the responsible marriage authority in the country concerned may also request a certification of marriageability.
Last update: 27.07.2018
Please note
Approved by
HELP Editorial Staff