Marriage Certificate [Heiratsurkunde]
The marriage certificate along with the birth certificate [Geburtsurkunde], the partnership certificate [Partnerschaftsurkunde] and the death certificate [Sterbeurkunde] are the four fundamental civil status documents.
The marriage certificate represents an excerpt from the marriage records kept at the registry of births, deaths and marriage [Standesamt] and shows their basic contents.
The marriage certificate contains
- the surnames and the first names of the husband and wife,
- academic degrees
- their surnames before the marriage ceremony,
- the day and the place of their births,
- optional the affiliation to a legally recognized church or church society and
- the day and location of the marriage ceremony.
Academic degrees and professional or similar titles are attached to one's name in marriage certificates. The marriage certificate also contains the following:
- Dissolution, annulment of any previous marriages
- Any changes concerning the name in connection with the marriage (for example any possible double names, determination of the surname of the children originating from the marriage)
Please note .
Federal Chancellery – HELP Editorial Staff