Loss of Documents
If you should lose one of the documents listed further below, we recommend that you file a loss report [Verlustanzeige].
Present the confirmed loss report to the responsible authority authorised to issue a duplicate or a new document.
In many cases, civil status documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate) can be issued without a loss report. Please check accordingly with the responsible authority.
A duplicate of a lost divorce certificate (court ruling on the annulment of a marriage) can also be issued by the responsible court without presentation of a loss report.
It is recommended to have the certificate of citizenship [Staatsbürgerschaftsnachweis] reissued, because it will be important for going through various official channels (e.g. issuing a passport for the first time).
If a Social Insurance Card (e-Card) is lost, please contact your health insurance institution [Krankenversicherungsträger], which will issue a duplicate (service number: +43 50 124 33 11).
- The Municipal Office [Gemeindeamt] or Magistrate [Magistrat]
- In Vienna: the Lost and Found Service locations of the Municipal District Offices [Magistratisches Bezirksamt] and/or the Central Office of the Lost and Found Service [Fundservice]
Official identification with photo [amtlicher Lichtbildausweis], if available
- Loss report: free of charge
- Confirmation of loss report (only on demand):
- 2.10 Euro Federal Adminstration Fee
- Additionally 14.30 Euro Federal Fee, if the confirmation is not intended for a specific authority
If you need a duplicate of a certificate or insurance policy etc., please consult the relevant issuing company.
If any documents found bearing a name are handed in at a Lost and Found Office [Fundamt], these authorities will try to find the lawful owner, so that they can return the documents.
Please note .
Federal Chancellery – HELP Editorial Staff