Documents Concerning Your Car
What you should do in the event of losing the following:
- Driving licence [Führerschein]
- Licence plates [Kennzeichen]
- Log-book [Typenschein]
- Vehicle registration document [Zulassungsbescheinigung]
For the loss report
- Generally: free of charge
- In Vienna: 4.20 Euro fee for the official confirmation of loss of one's driving licence
For the confirmation of loss report (only ON DEMAND)
- Federal administration fee: 2.10 Euro
- Additionally, if the confirmation is not intended for a specific authority:
- Federal fee: 14.30 Euro
Please note: If you need a substitute until the issuing of the duplicates of the driving licence, the vehicle registration document or the licence plates, ask for a confirmation of the loss report. This, however, will cost 16,40 Euro. With this confirmation you are allowed to drive a motor vehicle in Austria for a certain period of time:
- Substitute for a driving licence: four weeks from the date of loss
- Substitute for a vehicle registration document: one week from the date of loss
- Substitute for a licence plate: one week from the date of loss if you attach a provisional alternative plate, which resembles the original one in terms of shape, to the vehicle
If you find one of the documents listed above, please report it at a police station.
Additional information can be found on the German website at HELP.gv.at.
Please note .
Federal Chancellery – HELP Editorial Staff