- Passenger Cars and Trucks with a Permissible Maximum Weight of up to 3.5 t
- Trucks with a Permissible Maximum Weight Exceeding 3.5 t and Omnibuses
- Legal Minimum Tread Depth
- Legal Basis
Between 1 November and 15 April, passenger cars and trucks with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 t may be operated in winter conditions such as snow-covered tracks, snowy slush or ice only if winter tyres have been installed on all wheels.
As an alternative to winter tyres, snow chains may be used on at least two driving wheels, however, these may only be used in case the road is covered by a complete or scarcely broken snow cover or sheet of ice.
The obligation to use winter tyres or snow chains on passenger cars and trucks up to 3.5 t only applies in winter conditions and only if the vehicle is operated in these conditions.
It has been extended to light quadricycles with a closed, cabin-like body (so-called microcars).
Between 1 November and 15 April, trucks with a permissible maximum weight of more than 3.5 t and related motor vehicles may be operated only if winter tyres have at least been installed on the wheels of one driving axle.
Between 1 November and 15 March, omnibuses and related motor vehicles may be operated only if winter tyres have at least been installed on the wheels of one driving axle.
In contrast to passenger cars and smaller trucks, winter tyres are always required for the aforementioned vehicles during these periods, regardless of the road surface.
Vehicles exempt from this requirement are:
- Public security service vehicles, army vehicles, and fire engines on which it is impossible or not useful to install winter tyres due to the vehicle's design or due to its predominant purpose of use,
- Vehicles equipped with "special" tyres due to the vehicle’s design or due to its predominant purpose of use,
- Vehicles used for tests or the transfer of vehicles.
According to the law, only tyres which bear the following letters are regarded as winter tyres: "M+S", "M.S." or "M&S". All-season tyres may only be used as winter tyres if they have such an inscription.
Special use tyres are only regarded as winter tyres if they bear the following letters: "ET", "ML" or "MPT".
Information on obligations regarding snow chains can also be found at HELP.gv.at.
Information on the legal minimum tread depth of tyresGerman text can also be found at HELP.gv.at.
Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology