Toll Sticker and Tolls

zur deutschsprachigen Version
to the German version

From 8 November 2017 on there will be a new digital version of the toll sticker. However, it will not replace the traditional adhesive toll sticker. Drivers of vehicles will be able to choose between the adhesive sticker and the new digital version. The Digital Vignette will be linked to the licence plate number instead of the vehicle itself. Therefore, drivers using interchangeable number plates will no longer require an additional toll sticker for the other vehicle. In case of a broken windscreen no new toll sticker must be obtained if the vehicle has a Digital Vignette.
To begin with, the Digital Vignette will be available online via the website or the ASFINAG-app "Unterwegs". From Summer 2018 onwards, it will be purchasable wherever the adhesive toll sticker can be bought, i.e. at tobbaconists, at petrol stations, at automobile clubs and at ASFINAG toll stations. Answers to frequently asked questions about the Digital Vignette can be obtained from the ASFINAG's website.

Vehicles up to 3.5 t

All vehicles with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 t (e.g. motor bikes, cars) using motorways and expressways are required to display a toll sticker. In Austria, toll stickers are available at automobile clubs, petrol stations and tobacconists, as well as at Austrian Motorway and Expressway Corporation [ASFINAG] toll plazas.

Motor bikes with sidecars only require a toll sticker for two-wheeled vehicles; those with two wheels on one of their axles (e.g. trikes) require a car toll sticker.

The prices for the toll sticker 2017 (which is turquoise coloured) are:

  • Cars and trucks with a permissible maximum weight of up to 3.5 t
    • One-year toll sticker: 86.40 Euro (from 1 December 2017: 87.30 Euro)
    • Two-month toll sticker: 25.90 Euro (from 1 December 2017: 26.20 Euro)
    • Ten-day toll sticker: 8.90 Euro (from 1 December 2017: 9 Euro)
  • Motor bikes (single-track motor vehicles, including motor bikes with sidecars)
    • One-year toll sticker: 34.40 Euro (from 1 December 2017: 34.70 Euro)
    • Two-month toll sticker: 13 Euro (from 1 December 2017: 13.10 Euro)
    • Ten-day toll sticker: 5.10 Euro (from 1 December 2017: 5.20 Euro)

The sticker for the year 2018 which is cherry-red coloured will be valid from 1 December 2017. The turquoise coloured stickers for the year 2017 can be used until 31 January 2018. From 1 February 2018, only the new cherry-red coloured stickers will be valid.

The weight of a trailer is not added to the weight of the drawing vehicle when determining the required toll.

Information on special regulations for disabled peopleGerman text is available on the German website at

Vehicles Exceeding 3.5 t

Drivers of vehicles with a permissible maximum weight exceeding 3.5 t (e.g. heavy goods vehicles, buses, heavy mobile homes) must pay a mileage-based toll for the use of motorways and expressways (HGV toll system).

There is a graduation for the tariffs for mileage-based toll (vehicles exceeding 3.5 t) according to the EURO emission classes. When the EURO emission class has been declared at one of the GO outlets it is stored on the GO-box. From that moment on this class is taken into account for toll transactions. If a EURO emission class which leads to a lower toll tariff than Euro III or Euro 3 is declared (from EURO IV or EURO 4 on or better) it has to be proven.

There is a service called "Toll2Go" that enables drivers to pay the Austrian toll also via the German toll unit instead of the GO-box. This service is meant mainly for road hauliers whose trucks often drive through Austria as well as Germany as the toll payment in both countries only requires one toll unit installed in the vehicle.
Last update: 20.09.2017
Please note
Approved by
Federal Chancellery – HELP Editorial Staff
Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology
Rate this page
Was this information useful? *: